Sunday, June 08, 2008

Exes and O

This is a very old post that I just completed. I wanted to lighten the mood in here after my latest musings.

The scene: A discount department store in the home section.

The players: Missy* (my longest friend; we've been besties since the third grade); my ex-boyfriend's Mother, sister and niece; myself.

Background: The ex and I dated in high school. We spent two and a half years in a relationship, with the last year being our freshman year in college at different universities. Our relationship came to its demise after the ex went home for the summer and I spent the first half of summer away at school. (For the record, I can't believe we made it that long; I keep warning my younger brother that he and his GF will break up when he leaves her for her last year of high school to go off to his freshman year of college). I went home for the second half of summer, cried after seeing him out on a date (mind you, I was on a date, too), got over it and went back to school. I graduated on time (a semester early actually), went on to law school as planned and became an attorney. The ex, on the other hand, played around (it is perpetually spring break in the city where his college is located, so I can't fully blame him), took a year "off" and ended up transferring to a different school (ironically, the same one his parents wouldn't let him attend in the first place). Needless to say, he became a super senior and his plans of going to dental school fell by the way side. He recently graduated with his bachelors degree, a whole 7.5 years later. His niece is currently a student of Gayle's (my bestie who is a teacher at our former high school).

The story: One weekend, Missy and I decided we both needed new decor for our apartments. My tummy was hurting awfully bad and therefore, I was rubbing it as if a pregnant woman might. Missy turned and said to me, "You better stop rubbing your belly like that. People are going to think you're preggers." I laughed, protruded my stomach out as far as I could and continued to rub, all in order to mock her.

Enter the ex's family. Being the girl I am, I walked over and said hello. Hugs and "good to see yous" all around. The Mom asked me when did I graduate. At this point, I had been an attorney for 1.5 years and therefore, I told her, I've already made that walk across the stage. She proceeded to say, "I know, but aren't you in grad school?"

Sigh. I don't know what it is, but every time I see someone from back home, they think I am still in law school. Maybe their timing is off or they just can't believe it. Maybe my ex's mom put me on the delayed higher education schedule with that of her son. IDK.

I replied, "Yes, I graduated from law school 1.5 years ago. I'm an attorney." She looked overwhelmed for a second, congratulated me and said she was so proud. We exchanged pleasantries for a few more minutes then went our separate ways.

The following week, Gayle called and asked if there was anything I needed to tell her. "Um...no, not that I can think of. Why?" She told me the ex's niece asked her in class if I was married and if I was preggo. SHOCK.AND.AWE. Gayle said she told the niece, after admonishing her for asking inappropriate questions of course, that I was not in fact married and was not pregnant to her knowledge. I giggled and explained the sitch to Gayle.

See, that's how rumors get started.

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent.


******UPDATE******: I recently discovered the aforementioned ex is now a daddy! Congratulations, Charlie Brown!

1 comment:

CC said...

For some odd reason, I like people to think I'm prego, I'm just obsessed with babies.