Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why you actin' like a... like a.... BIA! BIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Mr. Holland's e-mail was brief, but funny. He told me that he didn't like being hooked up in this way and likened it to auditioning for a reality show. He also mentioned that he had e-mailed a few pics of himself to MM and that he hoped she had shared them with me (she had!). He ended the note by advising me to contact him if and when I wanted, and he requested that I send him a few shots of myself.

I was feeling particularly spicy, so I drafted a quick reply and attached three of my fav self-portraits. The next day, I found out that Mr. Holland had seen my pictures. He thought I was "incredibly beautiful." And....

He.was.now.SCARED.of.me.

Well, you scared! You scared!
Stop actin' like a b****! You scared!

What about me is scary? I wasn't donning my sexy smirk, a la Gabby Union in "Deliver Us From Eva" in any of the pics. Nor was I wearing a trench coat or pentagram earrings.

All of a sudden, I remembered... he knows my occupation from MM. What is it about attractive educated Black women that scares off attractive, equally educated Black men? I wouldn't have written this post were it not for reading my Soror L's rant about having been told that she's "educating herself out of a husband" by going after her PhD. (Go 'head Dr. La!!!! This re-post was so very apropos.)

Seriously, I don't want to be the "scary Black-girl attorney." (Is that really what people see when they look at me?) And, I definitely am not attracted to scary (as in, scared of everything) men.

Maybe when Mr. Holland said he was scared of me, he meant he was nervous to be interacting with someone so pretty and smart? ~shrug~

1 comment:

...they call me "L" said...

Girl, Mr. Holland ain't ACTIN', he's BEIN' a Bia!Biaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Tell his scary behind to take a hike. *shakin' head in disgust*
Thanks for the shout, Soror, I'll have to come by here more often!