Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shared Space Etiquette, Part II

Continued...

Pretty knew better than to say something right then because her current thoughts were not so pretty. So, I continued working, all the while thinking about how I could approach this situation. See, FN had had run-ins with other coworkers about the fan, but never with me. The longer I sat thinking about how rude FN was for not even asking whether I minded if she turned the fan down, the more I knew I had to broach the topic with her. (Ironically, I became even hotter. I guess that's why they say people are "simmering.") Being the non-confrontational person I am, I was dreading saying something to her out of the blue. Instead, when FN left The Board (I knew only momentarily because she had left several files at her desk), I turned the fan back up.

When she came back, I could already see her lips pursed at noticing the fan was now again on "whir." Before she could even say anything, I politely asked, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you turn the fan down when you came up here?" I wasn't going to let her get off the hook for that one. I continued, "Because I'm a little warm." As she reached her desk, she hastily collected her files, responding, "Yeah. I'm just going to go to my office. I have a weird neck thing. If any amount of wind blows on it, it starts to hurt." W.T.F. If you say so, FN.

I couldn't hide my smile as she stomped off, clearly annoyed. Or, when she came back to The Board slamming desk drawers and sighing heavily. As I passed her in the hall (she never made it to her desk, apparently waiting for me to complete my task), I said in a syrupy sweet tone, "I'm done up here." She replied (still salty), "Well, I've already got all my things now."

At that, I smiled even brighter and bid her good day. ~halo~

No comments: