Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Ultimate Measure of a Man

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
~MLK Jr.

Somewhere, somehow, I have to find the courage to tell a man I truly, truly care about, a thing that will not fall softly on his ears. In fact, it will probably sound like nine-inch nails being scraped down a chalkboard, or worse. Right now, I can't even say the words aloud, not even in a whisper. I repeat them over and over in my head--while dressing in front of the mirror, in the car on the way to work, in the bed just as I'm drifting off to sleep--but when I try to voice them, the words get stuck in my throat, like bile. I'm not an actress, but I would kill for a script right now. It would start with my confession. Then his reaction. At least that way I'd know what happens at the end. Alas, I don't know what will happen, and it is this uncertainty that keeps me cowardly mum.

No comments: